Ever wonder what the difference of a hiring a contractor vs. a handyman is? We find we often get this question and while we offer both Handyman and residential contracting services there is a big difference between the two.
Hiring a General Contractor:
Many people do not realize what actually goes into remodeling a bathroom, kitchen or home. Take for example a kitchen, on average a kitchen remodel takes 5-6 weeks to complete with a cost around $30-$50K. A project this size requires an electrician, a plumber, a countertop contractor, a cabinet contractor, a flooring pro, a painter, and someone to install the appliances. It also requires pulling permits and scheduling town inspections. Talk about a lot of scheduling and negotiating… especially if you have never done it before.
By hiring a Residential General Contractor they will coordinate all required professionals needed, schedule their time appropriately and best of all, negotiate pricing to get the best deal on labor. If you were to do all of this yourself the time, effort and money spent (on possibly overpaying professionals) can take it tolls.
So if you have a big project that requires the talents of multiple professionals then we suggest hiring a general contractor to get the job done. It will save you money and you own sanity in the end!
- Adding a stairway
- Installing a new roof (not just individual tile replacement but the whole roof)
- Installing a fireplace or wood stove
- Building a raised deck
- Installing or replacing certain plumbing fixtures such as water heaters
- Major remodeling
- Putting in new doors or windows
- Building a retaining wall (not simply a decorative wall)
- Any work requiring the repair or modification of the existing electrical, plumbing, or gas systems
Hiring a Handyman:
Typically we suggest hiring a handyman when your project is on the smaller side and doesn’t require a lot of time. Many handyman jobs can be charged at an hourly rate (with minimums) helping you to keep costs manageable. If your job is small then hiring an experienced and trustworthy handyman could be the right option for you.
Some examples of tasks that require a handyman would include:
- Hanging a TV or shelving unit
- Installing or fixing lighting fixtures
- Fixing a leaky pipe
- Servicing your heater before the winter
- Fixing your sprinkler system before spring
- Installing a window air-conditioner before temperatures climb
- Leaky roof
- Broken pipes
- Sagging front step
- Loose stair railings
- Warm or humming electric outlets
- Loose lighting fixtures
- Toilet leaking at the base
Let us know if you have any questions! Our team is here to help in any way we can. Thanks for reading!